ebac - shirt sponsor

Darlington Football Club

Darlington Football Club / 14th September 2014

Penalty Save Means Replay for Darlington & Blyth

Penalty Save Means Replay for Darlington & Blyth

Darlington will need another replay if they are to progress in the FA Cup. Quakers needed a replay to see their way past West Auckland in the last round and will need another one following a goalless draw with Blyth Spartans.

darlington v Blyth Spartans 14-09-2014Quakers though should have made it through at the first time of asking. They saw a Terry Galbraith penalty saved and hit the post twice as the Blyth goal led a charmed a life during a very entertaining second half. However in the closing moments Blyth nearly grabbed an unlikely winner when they hit the post themselves.

In the end though it wasn’t to be Darlington’s day and they will have to go again on Tuesday night at Croft Park.

The first half was a tight affair with only a handful of openings for either side. Stephen Thompson volleyed off target for the hosts and Blyth wasted a chance when Robert Dale lifted the ball well over the bar from 16 yards out. The second half however proved to be nowhere near as close with Blyth riding their luck for large spells.

Quakers should have taken the lead on 53 minutes when they were awarded a penalty. Neal Hooks was adjudged to have fouled Ryan Noble who had come on as a substitute in place of David Dowson at half time. Dowson himself was also a sub as he replaced Amar Purewal on 30 minutes. Galbraith took responsibility for the spot kick but saw Peter Jeffries pull off a fine save to push the ball onto the post.

Noble was then sent clear by Graeme Armstrong and hit the upright. The forward hit the post a second time with the game entering the final 10 minutes.

Blyth should have seen red during the closing stages of the game. A dreadful looking challenge by Daniel Hawkins on Chris Hunter should have resulted in a red card. Instead only a yellow card was shown. Hunter hobbled on for the remainder of the game but the defender was clearly in pain.

Quakers were the better side in the second half but Blyth nearly stole an unlikely win when they rattled the post themselves through Arran Wearmouth with just moments left.