FC United of Manchester

FC United of Manchester

FC United






Vanarama National League North
Broadhurst Park / 13th Oct 2018 / 3:00pm


FC United 1 Darlington 2 

Scorers: Brierley (12 mins, 1-0), Saunders (15 mins, 1-1, 47 mins 1-2)

Attendance 1978.

Two goals from striker Harvey Saunders -- the first time he has scored twice in a game for the club -- gave Quakers the points at Broadhurst Park.

Quakers conceded an early goal, but Harvey's swift equaliser -- although he didn't know much about it -- steadied the boat, and we pushed on for our second away win of the season.

Quakers faced the breeze in the first half, and had the first real chance on 3 minutes.

A long throw by Hughes from the right bounced in the penalty area to Alex Henshall at the far post, and he fired on the half volley at the keeper from ten yards.

FC replied when Jack Banister picked the ball up on the edge of the area, turned, and fired over the top.

Quakers went a goal down on 12 minutes. FC won a corner on the right and the ball was driven in low for Theo Brierley, to volley first time past Maddison.

And Quakers were nearly 2-0 down, when Chris Lynch headed a left wing corner from Mike Donohue over the top from six yards.

But Quakers levelled on 15 minutes. Alex Henshall crossed from the left into the FC United area. The ball went over Simon Ainge’s head, and a covering defender headed the ball, but straight at Saunders, and the ball hit off the striker, looped over the keeper and into the net.

Quakers nearly went into the lead on 21 minutes, with a low free kick from out on the left by Joe Wheatley that Perrin scrambled away at his near post, and from the corner that followed from Wheatley, the ball ran right across the six yard line without a yellow shirt managing to get a touch.

There weren’t any more chances created until the 37th minute when Banister made a good run past two players and fired over the top.

But Banister was presented with a good chance on 39 minutes when Trotman and Maddison left a long ball for each other, and the striker had his first shot blocked by Maddison, then hit the upright with the follow up.

Quakers had a chance just on half time, when Thompson crossed from the right to the far post where Ainge headed just wide.

And in stoppage time, Wheatley curled another corner over from the left for Galbraith to head into the side netting.

Half time 1-1

Quakers were given a free kick for a foul on Saunders about 30 yards out, and Wheatley’s free kick went around the wall and was saved by Perrin on the line.

Quakers went 2-1 up on 48 minutes. Saunders harried the full back into a short back pass towards his keeper and the striker got there before Perrin and stabbed the ball past him into the net! His fourth of the season.

FC had a man sent off on 61 minutes. Tattum caught Wheatley with a late challenge, and was shown his second yellow after being booked for diving in the first half.

Quakers made two subs on 68 minutes, David Syers and Jordan Nicholson coming on for Ainge and Henshall. In the last 20 minutes, Quakers created a string of chances to make the game safe.

Nicholson got away on the left on 72 minutes and his intended pull back for Saunders was cut out by Lynch.

And from the corner, Thompson fired just over the top from the edge of the box.

Quakers went close again on 75 minutes, when Wheatley’s right wing corner fell for Galbraith, whose volley went just over the top.

Wheatley then played a good 1-2 with Nicholson that ended with Perrin parrying his shot wide, then Nicholson was denied by another Perrin save.

Quakers broke out on 86 minutes when Wheatley put Syers through, but he shot straight at the keeper.

FC then had Mansell dismissed for impeding Maddison’s throw out, and so they were down to nine.

Quakers continued to carve out chances, and Perrin pulled off the save of the match from Nicholson's left foot shot in stoppage time.

Team: Maddison, Trotman, Galbraith, Hughes, O’Hanlon; Henshall (sub Nicholson 68), Elliott, Wheatley, Thompson (sub Burn 90+1); Ainge (sub Syers 68), Saunders

Subs: Glover, Cameron Hall (sub Keeper), Nicholson, J Burn, Syers

Booking: Saunders, Hughes, Henshall, Wheatley, Thompson

Team; Perrin, Senior (sub Crawford 85), Thompson, Jones (sub Palinkas 20), Lynch, O’Halloran, Tattum, Brierley (Limpitshi- Bongwamba 69),Mansell, Donohue, Banister

Subs: Lonsdale,   Grimshaw,

Booking Senior, Tattum, Mansell

Red card Tattum, Mansell

Line Up

Jonny Maddison 1
Jonny Maddison
Luke Trotman 2
Luke Trotman
Ben O'Hanlon 3
Ben O'Hanlon
Tom Elliott 4
Tom Elliott
Liam Hughes 5
Liam Hughes  
Terry Galbraith 6
Terry Galbraith
Alex Henshall 7
Alex Henshall  
(Nicholson 113)
Joe Wheatley 8
Joe Wheatley  
Simon Ainge 9
Simon Ainge
(Syers 135)
Harvey Saunders 10
Harvey Saunders  
Stephen Thompson 11
Stephen Thompson
(Burn 135)

Cameron Hall 0
Cameron Hall
Mitchell Glover 12
Mitchell Glover
Jordan Nicholson 15
Jordan Nicholson
Jonny Burn 16
Jonny Burn
David Syers 17
David Syers