ebac - shirt sponsor

Darlington Football Club

Ray Simpson / 11th September 2021

Nella earns Quakers' first point of the season

Nella earns Quakers' first point of the season

Sub fires the equaliser within two minutes of coming o


Blyth 2 Darlington 2

Goal:O'Donnell (9mins 1-0) MacNall (19 mins 2-0) Charman (42 mins 2-1), Nelson (62 mins, 2-2)

Attendance 1,530

Supporters bus Man of the match: Jake Cassidy

Quakers came back from two goals down to earn a deserved point at Croft Park -- but they could easily have grabbed all three.

Quakers were 2-0 down in 20 minutes, but Luke Charman pulled a goal back before half time, and sub Andrew Nelson got an equaliser just a minute after coming as sub.

It was a stirring fightback by Quakers to earn their first point of the season, one which had the fans cheering them off the field at the end.

Blyth won the first corner in the second minute, it was floated in by Deverdics but play was stopped for a head injury to Joe Wheatley, who was able to continue.

Blyth got another corner on the right in the 4th minute, but Taylor held on to the ball when it came into the box.  He released the ball quickly upfield, where Luke Charman showed instant control and set up Will Hatfield, whose shot inside the area was blocked.

Quakers had the first opening on 7 minutes. A high ball downfield was nodded down for Hatfield to shoot straight at Mitchell from just inside the area.

But Blyth took the lead on 9 minutes. A free kick from the left was whipped in by Robbie Dale for JJ O’Donnell to glance a header into the bottom right hand corner.

Quakers tried to reply, and Joe Wheatley had a powerful shot blocked.

Quakers won their first corner on 16 minutes, but the referee penalised Storey for a foul on the keeper as the ball curled under the crossbar.

It was 2-0 on 19 minutes, when the ball came in from Byrne the right, and Lewis MacNall in space, headed firmly past Taylor.

Luke Charman had a goal ruled out for offside at the other end when he scored from a Wheatley cross.

Griffiths did well to cut in from the right on to his left foot, but his effort struck Cassidy and went out for a goal kick.

Quakers pulled a goal back on 42 minutes. Charman picked up a throw in from Smith, turned quickly and struck a sweet left foot shot across Mitchell into the net to give his side a lifeline.

Luke Charman pulls a goal back with a left foot shot


Half time 2-1

Quakers made a half time sub. Jarrett Rivers coming on for Beeden, and going four at back.

0’Donnell managed to get out of a tight corner on the right, and his low shot was blocked for a corner.

Quakers nearly levelled on 53 minutes when Hatfield crossed from the right for Charman to volley towards goal from ten yards out but Mitchell just managed to push the ball away down to his left.

Reid had a goal from a free kick disallowed at the other end on 58 minutes.

Quakers had Smith and Purver booked in quick succession, then Andrew Nelson came on for Purver just on the hour

His first touch was header from a right wing corner that hit the crossbar, then he followed up quickly to sidefoot past the keeper to send the fans behind the goal wild.

Andrew Nelson heads towards goal


Nella celebrates his first goal in two years



Quakers kept the momentum going and they brought on Junior Mondal for Luke Charman for the last twelve minutes.

Hatfield had a powerful shot blocked for a corner, and Nelson put a teasing cross into the middle from the left where Cassidy was adjudged to have fouled Mitchell.

In the last minute, Mondal squared the ball to Rivers, who turned and fired over the top from the edge of the box.

Taylor, Griffiths, Beeden (sub Rivers 46), Cooper, Storey, Smith, Hatfield, Purver (sub Nelson 61), Wheatley, Cassidy, Charman

Subs: Hedley, Dos Santos

Bookings: Smith, Purver , Hatfield, Nelson


Blyth: Mitchell, Reid, Watson, Hickey, O'Donnell, Dale, Byrne, McNall (sub Clark 63), Deverdics, Lees, Thomson

Subs: Evans, Liddle,McKeown, Curran