Ray Simpson / 16th November 2019

Nightmare first half for Quakers as eight game unbeaten run ends

Nightmare first half for Quakers as eight game unbeaten run ends

Thommo scores number 99 though


Brackley 5 Darlington 1

Ndlovu 11 mins, 1-0, Lowe 15 mins, 2-0, Ndlovu 31 mins, 3-0, York 42 mins, 4-0, Byrne 45 5-0, Thompson 66 mins, 5-1

Attendance 714

Quakers came down to earth with a bump after a dreadful first half at St James Park.

Quakers conceded some sloppy goals in the first 45 minutes, but improved slightly in the second half, with Stephen Thompson scoring his 99th goal for the club.

However, manager Alun Armstrong was less than happy with his team's performance and said that it was the worst 45 minutes he had been involved in. (Interview on the site soon)

Quakers started the game with three centre halves and nearly scored on 4 minutes. Thompson found Jarrett Rivers on the right, and he worked his way inside and curled a left foot shot just wide of the left hand post.

The ref awarded a corner for a slight deflection, and Rivers curled the corner over for Laing to have a header strike the foot of the post.

Brackley took the lead with their first real attack on 11 minutes. Wes York cut in from the left and struck a low shot that Connell parried, but only to Lee Nlovu, who turned the ball home.

And it was 2-0 on 15 minutes when Matt Lowe charged forward to the edge of the box, and struck a left foot shot into the top corner.

Quakers nearly pulled a goal back when Watson’s left wing cross was cleared as far as Holness , who volleyed wide from the edge of the box.

Joe Wheatley then had a free kick deflected just wide of the post.

Brackley nearly made it 3-0 when Lowe turned in the box and his low shot was blocked by Connell.

It was 3-0 on 32 minutes when Murombedzi’s header from a left wing corner was cleared off the line, but Lowe chipped the ball back into the middle for Ndlovu to head in.

It was 4-0 on 42 minutes when a flowing move involving three players, ended with Wes York stroking the ball in.

Then Brackley got the fifth when Shane Byrne curled a free kick through a crowd of players and straight into the net. Quakers were clearly stunned as they went off at half time.

Half time Brackley 5 Darlington 0

Jack Lambert replaced Omar Holness at half time, as AA switched to a flat back four with Watson at left back and Storey at right back.

Thompson nearly pulled a goal back at the start of the second half when he tried to chip the keeper, but Lewis touched the ball over the top.

Quakers were awarded a penalty on 65 minutes when Wheatley was pushed over in the box as he tried to get on the end of a Thompson pass, and Thompson slammed the penalty into the roof of the net -- his 99th goal for the club, one short of the record.

Two youngsters, Rhys Armstrong and Mason Hurworth came on for the last 15 minutes.

There was a worrying moment at the end though because Terry Galbraith limped off injured with a kick on his ankle.

Final score:

Brackley 5 Darlington 1

Connell, Storey, Laing, Galbraith, Watson, Rivers (sub Hurworth 75), Wheatley, Hatfield, Campbell (Armstrong 75), Holness (sub Lambert 46), Thompson

Subs: Elliott, Johnson

Booking: Watson 67


Lewis, Myles, Franklin, Byrne, Audel, Dean, Lowe, Murombedzi, Ndlovu (sub Daire), York (Sub Fairlamb 75), Walker (sub Holman 60)

Subs: Armson, Noon


Attendance 814