Ray Simpson / 10th June 2019
The latest from our quizmaster Steve Rees
Here's the quiz that our quizmaster, Steve Rees, prepared for the Ashton United game on 29th December -- answers tomorrow.
FIRST HALF – GENERAL KNOWLEDGE
- In what kind of an auction do prices come down until the item is sold?
- Which motorway in the UK is the longest?
- Which was the first completed underground line in London, and which is the newest?
- What is the capital city of Canada?
- How many furlongs are there in a mile?
- In which Bond movie did Robert Shaw play the part of assassin, Donald Grant?
- Most famous in the 60s but she also sang with the Pet Shop Boys in the 80s, which singer was born Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O’Brien?
- In which year did Blue Peter first appear on children’s TV? (Allow a year either side)
- Which famous British sitcom character has the real name Colin Ball? Clue: He helps to keep London clean
- What is an American police officer’s equivalent of a truncheon?
- What colour is the zero on a roulette wheel, and what is the correct term for the person who spins the wheel?
SECOND HALF – SPORTING KNOWLEDGE
- In which decade did Fred Perry win three consecutive Wimbledon Single’s titles?
- Football: Who was the first ever person from outside the British Isles to manage a Premier League club? The team involved was Spurs.
- Who received the Golden Ball award for best player in the 2018 FIFA World Cup tournament?
- The Rungrado 1st of May Stadium is the largest sports arena in the world. In which country is it?
- Who was ranked the UK’s number one men’s tennis player from 1989 to 1994?
- Which 5 football clubs did Brian Clough manage during his career?
- How many players are allowed on the pitch at any one time in American Football?
- The trophy for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award is a plinth featuring which silver-plated object?
- In which English city do rugby union side Wasps play their home games?
- Which common boxing term is given to the normal stance taken by a left-handed boxer?
- Gary Neville was appointed head coach of which Spanish club in Dec 2015, only to be sacked 4 months later?