ebac - shirt sponsor

Darlington Football Club

Ray Simpson / 5th January 2021

Quakers beaten at Brackley

Quakers beaten at Brackley

Busy month starts with a defeat

Brackley 2 Darlington 0.

Scorers: York 1 min, Armson 84 mins

Quakers had plenty of possession but couldn't make it count at St James Park.

They conceded a first minute goal, and after that Brackley made it hard for Quakers to break them down, bringing ten men back into their own penalty area at times. Quakers had plenty of possession, but couldn't create many chances against a well-drilled home defence.

Quakers went a goal down after just 47 seconds, when Tre Mitford broke up the left and crossed into the middle where Ellis Myles fired towards goal, and Wes York reacted quickest to turn the ball past Johnny Saltmer.

Quakers had their first chance when Tyrone O’Neill nodded the ball down on the edge of the box for Adam Campbell to have a good shot deflected wide of the right hand post.

In Quakers next attack, O’Neill had another shot charged down for another corner.

Brackley had a chance on 18 minutes when Gareth Dean met a left wing corner, and headed into Saltmer’s hands.

Quakers enjoyed more possession, passed the ball around well and probed the Brackley defence without creating any clear openings, until the 36th minute, when Tony McMahon, up supporting his attack, had a low shot blocked, then O’Neill couldn’t quite turn on the ball on the six yard line.

Half time: 1-0


At the start of the second half, Mitford put a right foot shot well over the bar, then York made a great run up the left into the penalty area, but fired wide.

After that, Brackley were content to sit back with ten men behind the ball and make it difficult for Quakers to break them down.

Manager Alun Armstrong made two subs in the space of eight minutes, with Dan Maguire and Luke Charman coming on for Adam Campbell and Tyrone O'Neill.

They had a chance on 80 minutes when McMahon’s right wing cross cross was cleared as far as Sousa, whose right foot shot from 12 yards out went just over the top.

Quakers went 2-0 down with six minutes left when Jimmy Armson picked the ball up on the edge of the area, sidestepped a challenge, and fired into the bottom corner.


Final score 2-0


Team: Saltmer, McMahon , Hunt, Reid, Watson, Hatfield, Wheatley, Rivers, Campbell (sub Maguire 70), Sousa, O’Neill (sub Charman 78)

Subs: Hudson, Storey

Booking: Reid

Brackley: Lewis, Myles, Coleman, Byrne, Cullinane-Liburd, Dean (sub Franklin 76), York, Murombedzi, Mitford (sub Tee 88), Armson, Chambers (sub Lowe 63)

Subs: Noon, Worby