Ray Simpson / 30th November 2019

Quakers collapse in second half

Quakers collapse in second half

Sub scores second half hat trick

Darlington 2 Telford United 3

Storey 19 mins, 1-0, Donawa 31 mins, 2-0, Dinanga 46 mins, 2-1, Dinanga 77 mins 2-2, Dinanga (90+5)

Attendance 1212

Quakers were beaten by a second half hat trick by Telford sub Marcus Dinanga after leading 2-0 at half time.

Quakers played really well in the first half and could have been more than 2-0 up, but a goal straight after half time changed the complexion of the game.  


Quakers nearly took the lead in the first minute. Stephen Thompson and Justin Donawa combined well and set up Adam Campbell, who curled a right foot shot wide.

But Telford beat the offside trap at the other end and Ryan Barnett ran through, only for Liam Connell to save, and the keeper quickly recovered to hold on to the 25 yard follow up by James McQuilkin.

Quakers had another chance on 6 minutes when Will Hatfield’s header into the box was nodded to the side by a defender, and from an acute angle, Stephen Thompson, looking for that 100th goal, forced Yates into a good save.

Donawa then missed a great chance on 7 minutes, when he picked up a pass from Thompson, sidestepped a defender, but then blazed over from ten yards.

Quakers took the lead on 18 minutes. Michael Liddle worked a corner with Campbell, then struck a low ball into the box where a defender’s clearance rebounded and fell for Alex Storey to turn home from a few yards, his first for the club.

The game died down a little after that, but it soon burst into life again.

It was 2-0 on 31 minutes, Thompson, out on the right, played the ball infield for Jack Lambert, who helped the ball on into the path of Donawa, who fired in his stride into the roof of the net.

Quakers nearly got a third with a low free kick from the right by Lambert from the right for Campbell to fire just over.

Telford should have got one back on 40 minutes when Adam Walker set up Matty Stenson ten yards out, but he blazed over.

Lambert then tried his luck from 25 yards with a right foot shot that Yates saved comfortably.

Quakers missed another great chance on 45 minutes when Campbell got round the back and set up Hatfield, who sidefooted over the top.


Half time 2-0

Telford got a goal back straight after the interval. The ball was given away carelessly on the Darlington left, allowing Barnett to pick the ball up and whip it over to the far post where sub Dinanga turned the ball in.

Quakers then picked up two bookings as Telford increased the pressure, but at the other end Thompson set up Lambert, who fired over the top.

Hedley then chipped the ball into the middle for Donawa to head over the top.

Donawa did well to set up Thompson, who drifted past a defender but fired straight at Yates.

But Telford levelled on 77 minutes when they caught Quakers with a quick free kick, and Dinanga ran through and beat Connell.

And Telford nearly made it 3-2 with a left foot shot by Walker that Connell reacted well to save.

Williams then broke up the right, got into the box, and Connell saved well at the foot of his post.

Quakers nearly scored in the third minute of stoppage time, when Thompson headed Rivers’ corner against the underside of the bar, and Donawa’s follow up was blocked.

But in the fifth minute of stoppage time, Quakers were caught pushing up. Connell’s clearance was picked up on the half way line, and the ball was played through for Dinanga to beat Connell with a left foot shot

Team: Connell, Hedley, Liddle, Wheatley, Storey, Laing, Donawa, Hatfield, Campbell (sub Rivers 65), Lambert, Thompson

Subs:  Elliott, Holliday, Holness, Bascome

Booking: Wheatley, Hatfield, Donawa



Yates, Birch, Deeney, Walker, Lilly, Streete, Calder, McQuilkin, Stenson (sub Dinanga 46), Williams, Barnett (sub Daniels 72)

Subs: Knights, White, Cowans