ebac - shirt sponsor

Darlington Football Club

Ray Simpson / 25th February 2017

Late fightback not enough for Quakers

Late fightback not enough for Quakers

Darlington 2 Harrogate Town 3A late fightback wasn't enough for Quakers after playing with ten men f...



Darlington 2 Harrogate Town 3

A late fightback wasn't enough for Quakers after playing with ten men for more than three quarters of the game.

Midfielder Leon Scott was red carded on 17 minutes for a challenge on Lloyd Kerry, but Quakers looked as if they were good for a point until Harrogate scored twice in the space of three minutes in the second half

Quakers played against the wind in the first half, and had a half chance through David Syers from the edge of the box, but he fired wide.

Harrogate also had a half chance through Lloyd Kerry which he pulled wide of the left hand post from 25 yards.

Quakers got a free kick on the right that David Ferguson curled high into the area, but Elliott gathered.

Quakers were reduced to ten men on 17 minutes when Leon Scott went in on Lloyd Kerry, Kerry went down, and the ref produced an immediate red card.

Harrogate nearly went in front a minute later when the ball came in from the right and Danny Ellis headed over from a few yards.

But Quakers nearly went in front themselves on 22 minutes when Thompson won the ball 25 yards out, turned and hit a right foot shot that beat Elliott but hit the base of the post.

Quakers made a sub on 29 minutes, clearly for tactical reasons, with Cartman being replaced by Galbraith .

After that, Quakers defended well, and didn’t really allow Harrogate any opportunities, although they had a scare when Leesley crossed from the left and Burgess, trying to clear, sliced the ball over his own crossbar.

Half time Darlington 0 Harrogate Town 0

Galbraith swopped positions with Ferguson at the start of the second half.

Quakers got a corner on 48 minutes that Galbraith curled over to the far post, but no-one could get a touch.

Harrogate took the lead on 49 minutes, Colbeck forced his way down the right hand side and played the ball across the 6 yard box to the far post where Simon Ainge turned the ball home.

But Quakers levelled two minutes later, when Mark Beck helped the ball on for Thompson, who turned neatly and knocked the ball past the  advancing keeper.

Falkingham then had a great run down the right and beat two men  before the ball was cleared for a throw in.

But Harrogate had a great chance when Swain set up Burrnell fifteen yards out, but he sidefooted straight at Wilczynski.

Harrogate had another chance when a high ball into the Darlington box was headed goalwards by Ainge, but Wilczynski saved low down.

Quakers had a chance on 66 minutes when a long throw by Brown dropped for Syers twelve yards out, but the ball clearly bobbled before he struck it, and he sidefooted over.

Quakers made their third sub on 70 minutes, Hardy coming on for Thompson

Harrogate went back in front on 75 minutes, when Ainge held the ball up well and played in Kerry, who ran on and beat Wilczynski with a low shot into the bottom corner.

Quakers nearly levelled when a corner by Galbraith was headed out as far as Dave Syers who hit a terrific half volley that was deflected by a defender and struck Brown.

But Quakers went 3-1 down when a high ball into the box dropped for Ainge to slam into the roof of the net.

Quakers pulled a goal back with three minutes left when a Brown long throw was flicked on by Burgess for Hardy to head past the keeper.

Quakers had a penalty shout when Ferguson went down following a challenge by Elliott but the ref waved play on.

Hardy forced Elliott into a diving save, while Burgess’ bicycle kick was saved by the keeper on the line.






Wilczynski, Falkingham, Ferguson, Turnbull (sub Hunter 60), Burgess, Brown, Syers, Scott, Beck, Cartman (sub Galbraith 29), Thompson (sub Hardy 70 mins)


Subs: Bell, Gillies


Elliott, Turner, Parker, Burrell, Shiels, Ellis, Colbeck, Kerry, Ainge, Swaine, Leesley

Subs: Platt, Thanoj, Emmett, Agnew, Day