Simon Hahn / 12th February 2019

National North Round Up 12/02/2019

National North Round Up 12/02/2019

The latest from our division

Our victory at Blyth this season weekend saw us move to 16th place in the league table nine points ahead of the bottom three.

League leaders Chorley were stunned by our next opponents Southport who beat them 5-3. Jack Sampson, Devarn Green and Dion Charles all scored in the first 28 minutes for Port to put them in control. Alex Newby pulled one back for Chorley, but Charles’ second made it 4-1 at the break.  Newby struck again to give the league leaders hope, but Sampson also scored a double to seal the game. Elliot Newby scored a stoppage time consolation for Chorley, but it was not enough as they lost their first game of 2019.

Stockport could not take full advantage as they were held at Guiseley missing the chance to close the gap at the top to one point. Darren Stephenson had put County ahead just before the break, but George Cantrill earned a 1-1 draw for the hosts.

Spennymoor and Bradford’s match was postponed, but Telford who sit just behind the pair in fifth could not capitalise. They lost 3-1 at sixth place Brackley. James Armson, Lee Ndlovu and Carl Baker put Brackley control with Marcus Dinanga netting for Telford. All the goals came in the first half.

Altrincham stay in the final playoff place after late drama at FC United of Manchester. John Johnston had given Alty the lead after half an hour, before Dale Whitam appeared to have earned a point for the struggles. However, their efforts would prove in vain with Andrew White scoring seven minutes from time to give Altrincham the 2-1 victory. Defeat leaves FC united seven points off safety.

Boston are only a point behind Altrincham after a comfortable victory at bottom of the pile Nuneaton. Nicholas Walker scored twice for the Pilgrims along with goals from Gavin Allott, Nicholas Wroe and Jay Rollins. Ryan Edmunds scored late on for Nuneaton, but they fell to a 5-1 defeat.

Kidderminster Harriers overtook playoff rivals Chester after coming from behind to win 4-1. Akwasi Asante put Chester ahead, but they were behind just eight minutes later thanks to Declan Weeks and Joe Ironside. Ryan Johnson and Edward Williams added further goals late on for Kidderminster.

Curzon Ashton continued their climb up the table with a 3-2 win over Alfreton. Our former striker Reece Styche had put Alfreton ahead early on, but was then sent off after just 18 minutes. Despite that Josh Wilde put the visitors two ahead. However, Lewis Reilly, an own goal and a late winner from John Mcatee gave the Nash the points and they are now just four points off the playoffs.

York City picked up an important win over third bottom Ashton United to move away from danger. It took till seven minutes from time to break the deadlock through Jordan Burrow, before he then added a second minutes later as City won 2-0.

In the final game on Saturday Leamington and Hereford held each over to a 2-2 draw. Josh Waite  and Thomas Owen-Evans twice put the Bucks ahead, but both times Leamington came back through Jack Edwards and Colby Bishop.