ebac - shirt sponsor

Darlington Football Club

Ray Simpson / 17th November 2020

Quakers run riot at Guiseley

Quakers run riot at Guiseley

Our second league away win of the season


Guiseley 1 Darlington 4

Campbell (26 mins 0-1), Maguire (42 mins, 0-2, 48 mins 0-3), Sousa (75 mins 0-4), Nicholson (82 mins 1-4)

Quakers provided the perfect response to their defeat by Telford at the weekend with a comfortable win at Nethermoor.

Quakers were in control for virtually all of the game, and once Dan Maguire scored twice in the space of six minutes, there was always going to be one winner.

There were some excellent individual performances right the way through the team, especially from the forward line, who pulled the Guiseley defence all over the place throughout.

Guiseley caused a problem in the opening minute when Gabriel Johnson got round the back of the defence but his pull back was intercepted on the six yard line.

They nearly took the lead on 8 minutes when Erico Sousa broke through the middle and hit a left foot shot that Guiseley keeper Brad Wade touched over the bar.

Will Hatfield, who scored here last year, nearly put Quakers ahead with a dipping right foot shot from 25 yards that beat the keeper but clipped the top of the bar.

Quakers were forced into a change on 20 minutes when Michael Liddle limped off with an ankle injury, and was replaced by David Atkinson, who went into centre half, with Jordan Watson going to left back.

Quakers deservedly took the lead on 26 minutes when they were awarded a penalty. Dan Maguire was fouled in the area by Hamza Bencherif as he received an Omar Holness pass, and Adam Campbell scored from the spot, his fourth of the season.

It was nearly 2-0 on 34 minutes when Maguire picked up a long ball from McMahon and played the ball inside for Sousa, who helped the ball on for Campbell to have a  left foot shot saved by Wade at the foot of the post.

And there was a chance from a huge Minter goal kick that Maguire picked up and set up Sousa, who had two shots blocked in a goalmouth scramble, then Campbell fired wide of the post.

Quakers went 2-0 up just before half time when they got round the back again. Joe Wheatley did well to break through and had two shots charged down, and Dan Maguire was on hand to force the ball over the line for the second -- his first for the club.

Half time: Guiseley 0 Darlington 2

It was 3-0 on 48 minutes when Sousa made a great run down the right hand side, beat a defender and fired the ball across the face of goal for Maguire to slide in at the far post for his second of the game.

Sousa then had a penalty shout turned down when he broke into the area and seemed to be tripped, but the referee said play on.

It was nearly 4-0 when a corner was cleared as far as McMahon who struck a 30 yard riht foot thunderbolt that came back off the bar.

Hatfield moved forward, and had time to hit a right foot shot from 25 yards that went just over, then Campbell had a left foot shot blocked.

Campbell then found Sousa on the right side of the box, but after controlling the ball well, he fired over the top with just the keeper to beat

Wheatley had a 30 yard free kick deflected wide before Quakers made it 4-0 on 74 minutes  when Sousa picked up a pass from Campbell in the area, beat a defender and fired a right foot shot into the top corner. 

Guiseley pulled one back with a left footed free kick late on from Brad Nicholson into the top corner, but it was merely a consolation.


Final: Guiseley 1 Darlington 4


Darlington: Minter, McMahon, Watson, Laing, Liddle (sub Atkinson 20), Wheatley, Hatfield, Holness (sub Rivers 47), Sousa, Maguire (sub Amantchi 80), Campbell


Saltmer, Hudson

Bookings Hatfield, Holness, Wheatley



Wade, Cantrill, Nicholson, Howarth, Benherif, Cowan, Gillam (sub Harratt 46), Ekpolo, Wafula (sub Ryan 24), Mbeka, Johnson

Subs: Currie, Newall, Kellett

Booking: Howarth



Team: Minter, McMahon, Watson, Laing, Liddle, Wheatley, Hatfield, Holness, Sousa, Maguire, Campbell

Subs: Saltmer, Rivers, Hudson, Amantchi, Atkinson



Wade, Cantrill, Nicholson, Howarth, Benherif, Cowan, Gillam, Ekpolo, Wafula, Mbeka, Johnson

Subs: Currie, Harratt, Ryan, Newall, Kellett