Ray Simpson / 4th August 2020
Behind the scenes at Darlington FC -- update 18
What's going on behind the scenes at Darlington FC
Behind the scenes – update 18
Here is the latest of the behind the scenes updates of events at Darlington FC.
The Boards of Darlington FC and DFCSG continue to meet regularly via video conference call, to discuss various ongoing relevant matters. They last met on Thursday 30th July 2020.
The next league season:
As you have no doubt seen in the national press, the FA have released guidance for the return of grassroots football and within that the National League System guidance states that fixtures for Steps 1 & 2 will start on Saturday 3rd October subject to change due to Government guidance at that time. We have noted that several pilot events with crowds were postponed last weekend, and we await to see if this will impact on that date.
In order to prepare for an eventual start to the 2020/21 season, the Club is currently undertaking full risk assessments, some in conjunction with DRFC, in order to make Blackwell Meadows Covid-19 Secure, before games can be played. At this time, there is still no clear Government guidance on whether spectators will be permitted.
The club has continued to be very active through various means:
- Our partnership with Darlington Support goes from strength to strength and the Club is delighted to learn that our Matchday Events Manager, Joanne Cameron, has been awarded The Mayor’s Award, in recognition of her voluntary work with Darlington Support, in assisting the residents of Darlington during the COVID-19 pandemic. Joanne received her award from the Mayor of Darlington, Chris McEwan. Well Done Jo!!
- We also continue to make good use of our Zoom facility to interview former players Les McJannet, Gary Coatsworth and Robbie Painter for 90s week on the official website. The feedback we have received shows that these features are very popular.
- Club mascot, Mr Q, has also been working hard making exciting plans for our young supporters for the new season. When we are clearer about when spectators are allowed at games, Mr Q will explain more about how we’re enhancing our match day experience for children and families.
- The Club has held discussions with the Dolphin Centre about how and when Quaker Retail may be able to re-open in the Dolphin Centre, subject to the required risk assessments. We will keep you informed of developments with this. Please note however, that you could still buy DFC clothing on our official website and at My Sportswear on Morton Park.
- Regarding the 2019/20 season awards presentation and the Covid restrictions over the last five months, we were hoping to present the awards at a pre-season function, but this clearly cannot now be done. We are however, looking to make some kind of award presentations based on last season’s performances, when the squad return to training later this month. There will be much more news coming out about this over the next few days.
- The club continues to look into the possibility of live streaming matches and is awaiting guidance from the National League. This matter is expected to be discussed at a league meeting later this week.
Coming up, we will:
- Continue the ongoing work on the review of the new 2020-21 Commercial brochure. This is now at the graphic design stage and hopefully, this will be available later this month.
- Continue the work in progress of existing and new and exciting features for the official website. A 90s week has been put together, while some parts of the website will be refreshed as we build up to the new season.
- Keep you up to date with any further club developments
Throughout these very difficult and unprecedented times, we have maintained a very high profile for the club on our official website and social media channels, and we will continue to do so until we resume matches for the benefit of our much-valued volunteers and loyal supporters and sponsors.
Thank you for your continued support, it is very much appreciated.
Remember, follow the guidelines, and stay safe -- and buy a DFC facemask from our club shop!