Simon Hahn / 24th February 2020

National North Round-up  24/02/2020

National North Round-up  24/02/2020

The latest from around the league

We stayed in 12th place in the National North after a 2-2 draw at Hereford. Elsewhere three games fell victim to the weather, leaving seven other games that took place.

With King's Lynn not in action York took advantage to move top with a 1-0 victory at Kidderminster. Dan Maguire scored the only goal of the game early in the second half. They are two points ahead but the Linnets have three games in hand.

Boston United moved back up to third with a 1-0 win over Telford United. Dominic Knowles first-half penalty was the difference between the two sides.

Chester fell to a 3-2 defeat in a game of huge importance against fellow playoff hopefulls Brackley Town. Dan Holman put Brackley ahead in the first half, with James Jones levelling for the hosts. Thierry Audel again put Brackley ahead before Danny Livesey pulled Chester on even terms. However, the visitors had the final say when Matt Lowe won the game in stoppage time. They jump up to fifth, Chester drop to fourth.

Spennymoor helped their own top seven changes by hammering previously in form Alfreton 5-0. Glen Taylor, James Roberts and Nathan Buddle put Moors in control, before a double from Rob Ramshaw finished the scoring. Moors are in the final playoff spot, level on points with Altrincham in sixth.

Guiseley's playoff hopes suffered a dramatic setback at home to fellow top seven contenders Gateshead.  Andral Jones and Aaron Martin appeared to have won the game for Guiseley as they were 2-0 up with five minutes to play. Greg Olley pulled one back for the Heed, before Jake Southern-Cooper made it 2-2 in injury time. Guiseley are now seven points off the playoff, Gateshead two.

Blyth missed the chance to close the gap to safety after a 2-0 defeat at Farsley. Our former man Dave Syers put Celtic ahead with Jimmy Spencer doubling the lead.

In the final game on Saturday Leamington beat Southport 1-0 to dent their playoff chances. Joe Parker scored the only goal six minutes from time for the Brakes.